Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Drugstores 101

This is the 4th part in my intro series to getting great deals.  It builds on the previous posts (in order): remedial couponing, part 1, remedial couponing, part 2, and couponing 101.

If you've been following along in my series, you've already got everything you need to start playing the drugstore game (a.k.a. Why Nobody Should Ever Pay For Toothpaste.  Ever.)  Today, I'll teach you how to stack & roll at drugstores so that you can get LARGE quantities of items for free every week.

As I have mentioned before, the top three drugstore chains in the country are Rite Aid, CVS, and Walgreens, and each store has a rewards program that pays you back when you buy particular items.  I suggest that you start by learning the system at ONE of these stores, and then you can apply that knowledge to the other two (if you're lucky enough to have all three in your area).  There are some differences between the programs, but the idea is the same: you buy a particular item, and when you get your receipt you also get a printed "coupon" for a certain dollar amount off your next purchase.  This "coupon" can be used immediately on your next order.

These drugstores also allow you to stack store coupons on top of manufacturer's coupons for even greater discounts.  Do you remember the Afrin deal I posted about at Rite Aid?
$5.99
- $3/1 Afrin Coupon 1/2/11 SS (this means the coupon is $3 off 1 bottle, found in the Smart Source coupon insert that was printed on 1/2/11)
--and--
$2/1 Afrin Video Values (this is a store coupon that is for use only at Rite Aid)
----------------
pay .99, get $4 +UP back (this $4 in +UP Rewards can be used as cash at any Rite Aid) =$3.01 "moneymaker"
 The $2 Video Values store coupon above is limited to one per customer, but even if you then went back and bought another Afrin and used one more $3 off coupon, you'd "profit" another $1.01.

This, my lovely friends, is why drugstore chains are a really great place to stretch your buck.  If you "buy" the moneymaker items each week, you'll soon amass a good number of +UP Rewards/Extra Care Bucks/Register Rewards that you can use to get something you really need, free.

Of course, there are some important rules to remember when playing the drugstore game.  The first rule is that these rewards have expiration dates.  Take care to check the dates on your rewards and use them before they go "bad".  You don't want to be stuck with $50 in expired coupons that you could have used as cash yesterday!  Keep all of your rewards slips in the same place- I keep mine in their own store envelope.  You'll also want to take the time to learn the coupon and reward policy at your chosen drugstore.  Many sites suggest that you print out the store's coupon policy and bring it with you when you shop, just in case you come across a cashier who is less than helpful.  Personally, I can't imagine doing that-- how would it help your odds of placating an ornery store employee if you pulled a packet of text our of your pocketbook and told them they were doing their job wrong?  As always, kindness and a smile on your face will go a long way towards having a good experience at any store.

I've mentioned that Afrin deal twice now, and it's a sale that isn't beginning until next week.  Are you wondering how I know what sales are going to happen before I get the flyer?  Here's my fourth couponing secret: staying one step ahead of the sales flyer will save you big!  For all three big drugstore chains, sales flyers are leaked on an average of two weeks before the sale starts- meaning you'll have PLENTY of time to gather coupons, do your math, scout out deals, and get the absolute best return on your drugstore dollar.

The following sites (all run by the same woman) will give you previews of upcoming sales & circulars at the drugstore(s) of your choice- just look in the right column under "weekly deals".

There are lots and lots and LOTS of sites that do drugstore match-ups every week, as well as posting deals they (or their readers) come across on a daily basis.  I subscribe to many of these blogs through Google Reader, and I even "like" many of them on Facebook so I find out quickly about any new deal that's going on.  You'll learn that many drugstores have "hidden" (unadvertised) reward deals that bloggers stumble upon, and it's to your advantage to keep an eye out for these as a way to increase your rewards bankroll.  The following sites are good resources for finding "hidden" deals, deal scenarios, and coupon match-ups for the big three drugstore chains.  Be aware that these sites highlight deals at other stores, as well.
That's about it for drugstore deals.  Please let me know if you've got questions, and keep me updated on all of your great deals!

1 comments:

Vanessa said...

Having the coupon policy with me did help me in one instance last summer. Both of the RA's in my area were not allowing its customers to use BOGO coupons w/a BOGO sale. They kept telling me that I couldn't get 2 things for free. :)

I showed the cashier the copy of the coupon policy and she showed it to her manager and I have never had a problem since.

I do agree with you that it is really important to be polite and not argue. If they had told me that I couldn't use the coupon even after showing them the coupon policy then I wouldn't have argued with them...there are so many great deals out there that it seems silly to get upset over a few missed deals.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio, custom graphics by Tom Martin Art and Design