Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My top 10 tips for saving money in real life.

Tonight is the season premiere of Extreme Couponing on TLC.  I've already talked about this show a couple of times, and I'll be watching... probably in the same way a high school wrestler may turn on Wrestlemania for entertainment.

The thing that I really want to impress upon you if you watch the show is this: what is shown on the show is NOT realistic, and sometimes not even legal.  I worry that the average person will see the show and expect to pull off a similar mega shopping trip, and honestly, it's just not going to happen.  Yes, you CAN save money at the grocery and drug stores without spending hours each day cutting coupons or lots of money ordering coupons from "clipping services" on the internet.  The important thing is to manage your resources and expectations wisely!  Here are my top 10 tips for anyone who is looking to save money on the items they buy each week.

1) Pay attention to prices so you know when to stock up.  How will you know you're getting a good deal if you don't know what you normally pay?  Normal shelf price for a can of tuna is $1 in my area.  I can't tell you how many times I see tuna marked at $1 a can with a big red SALE!!! sign.  If you know what you normally pay, you'll know when you're getting a steal on an item- or when you're being fleeced.  I suggest keeping a list of the cheapest price you see for your top 10 grocery with you when you shop.  Here's my post about my stock-up price list if you'd like to see what I pay for certain items in the Boston area.

2) Don't be brand loyal.  A recent study by Consumer Reports showed that 14 brands of dish detergent, ranging in price from $2 to $14 a bottle, all did the same job cleaning dirty dishes.  When you're brand loyal, you're often going to pay more because most items are only on sale once every 3 months.  Trying out different brands of laundry detergent, paper towels, etc will save you money, and if you're still smitten with your favorite brand, at least you know that it stands up to the competition!  Don't be afraid to try generics or store brands, either.

3) Use the internet to your advantage.  If you're heading to the store, take 5 minutes before you go and check to see if you can get any great deals while you're there.  I suggest Coupon Mom, which lets you quickly pull up sale price lists by state.  They've also got a "extreme drugstore deals list" which tells you the best deals at the big drugstore chains, and a new "extreme grocery deals by state" list for food stores.  Coupon Mom requires registration, but it's totally free.


4) Manage your expectations.  I'd say that on a normal weekly grocery shopping trip, you should be proud of yourself if you save 30-50%.  People on TV save 95%, but in real life, that's not going to happen (not at the grocery store anyway!).  You'll need to purchase fresh produce, meats, and dairy products every week or two, and these should be the bulk of your grocery shopping.  If I tell you I saved 90% at the grocery store, but all I got was candy bars and Pop Tarts... I sure can't feed my family on that for a week!


5) Get the Sunday paper every week and hold on to the coupon inserts.  The cheapest Sunday paper in my area is $2.  Odds are that there are $5-$10 worth of coupons in that paper that you can use right off the bat, if you want- or you can hold on to those coupons and see if the items go on sale soon.  Either way, the $2 is a good investment because the more coupons you have available to you, the more you can save when sales do come along.  If you're not currently using coupons, you might want to read my Remedial Couponing and Couponing 101 series to learn how to find and "stack" coupons and sales.


6)  Buying in bulk isn't always cheaper.  In fact, when you're using coupons, it's usually the most cost effective to buy the smallest package possible.  Even if the price per pound is cheaper for the larger size, you'll get more bang for your coupon buck on the smaller size.  


7) Use Facebook to score high-value coupons and freebies.  It seems like every day I'm entering a giveaway or printing a coupon from Facebook.  I've now got a great supply of shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, lotion- lots of different shelf stable products that I can store and use when I need them.  Every time I use a free sample, that delays me having to purchase a new full-size product, and those little freebies add up!  


8) Meal planning will save you money and help keep you sane. In this family, "I don't know, what do you want for dinner?" almost always turns into a take-out night or a trip to a restaurant.  If I've got a meal planned for dinner, it's really unlikely that I'll succumb to the lure of a meal someone else cooked for us.  Eating out adds up really quickly, and as soon as you're done eating you've got nothing to show for it!


9) Don't forget to check the frozen section.  Frozen veggies are really good, and often cheaper than the fresh ones.  I realize this isn't rocket science, but there are plenty of people that never check behind those freezer doors!  So many items are available frozen these days-- garlic bread, pasta, boneless chicken breasts... it's always worth checking the freezer aisle.


10) Always get (and use) a store's discount/loyalty card.  I can't tell you how many times I'll see someone buying an item at a store, then telling the cashier that they don't have or want the store's discount card, therefore having to pay a higher price.  If you're shopping at a store more than once in your life, it's really worth the extra minute to sign up for a store loyalty card.  Don't assume that you won't save any money or that you never buy the items that are on sale- how do you know until you try?


There you go- my top 10 tips for saving.  Hopefully I won't be back tomorrow with a massive, screaming rant against TLC and the people on the show tonight!

1 comments:

Kifayat said...

Hi Rachel, connecting with you via UBC. I like point #2 about not being brand loyal - apart from it costing you a bit more here & there, the manufacturers will not "award" you for being their loyal customer. The only time I stick to particular products is when I have tried other and they don't appear to work as effectively as the other.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio, custom graphics by Tom Martin Art and Design